The Best Bed Size for Couples
Last updated: September 2023
When cuddling, talking, and finding solace in your partner's arms, you'll realise that bed size is more than just a dimension - it's an investment in your togetherness.
As we delve into the cosy world of shared sleep, get ready to discover the perfect bed and mattress size for you and your partner to nurture your relationship, promote better rest, and create blissful memories in the bedroom.
So, let's explore queen (also know as small double), double, king-size, and super king sizes together.
The Difference Between Queen, Double, King, and Super king
- 4'0 Small double (queen) = W 120cm x L 190cm
- 4'6 Double = W 135cm x L 190cm
- 5'0 King = W 150cm x L 200cm
- 6'0 Super king = W 180cm x L 200cm
In our Sleep Survey, over a quarter (27%) reported sleeping better when their partner wasn’t in the bed with them. Not only that, but 38% said they find it annoying when their partner takes up too much space. Therefore, it's vitally important that you make sure you choose a bed size that will give you enough space to be comfortable and get a good night's rest.
Every couple is unique, and the same goes for sleeping habits. Whether it's accommodating different body sizes, embracing individual sleeping positions, or allowing room for nighttime cuddles, let’s weigh up the pros and cons of each bed size…
When to Choose a Queen Size Mattress for Couples
Here we explore the optimal scenarios for choosing a queen mattress, helping you determine if it's the ideal size for your shared sleep sanctuary.
Pros of a Queen:
- Great for cuddling: This compact size is ideal for couples who enjoy closeness and intimacy.
- Space-saving versatility: It fits well in even the smallest of bedrooms, striking a balance between room space and comfort.
- Availability: Queen mattresses are widely available, offering a diverse range in terms of materials, firmness levels, and features.
- Cost-effectiveness: Compared to larger sizes, a queen generally offers good value for money, providing a comfortable sleep surface without breaking the bank.
- Ease of movement: Being smaller and lighter compared to larger sizes, they offer the advantage of easier mobility.
Cons of a Queen:
- Limited individual space: A queen might feel slightly restrictive if one or both partners prefer extra personal space during sleep or sleeping in a starfish position.
- Not ideal for tall individuals: If you or your partner are taller, the length of a queen bed (typically 190 cm) might not provide enough legroom for complete comfort.
When to Choose A Double Mattress for Couples
Let's look into the pros and cons of the size of a double mattress, as it could just be the perfect fit for your shared slumber.
Pros of a Double:
- Just the right size for snuggling: A double offers a snug environment, promoting a sense of togetherness and connection between partners.
- Space-saving: Fantastic for smaller bedrooms or apartments, a double optimises space without compromising comfort.
- Affordability: They are often more budget-friendly compared to larger sizes, making them a cost-effective option for couples.
- Ease of mobility: Compact in size and weight, they are easier to move and rotate than larger sizes, simplifying moving house, maintenance, and cleaning.
Cons of a Double:
- Limited sleeping space: With a width of around 135 cm, a double may feel slightly cramped for couples who prefer more individual sleeping space. If either partner is an active sleeper or prone to tossing and turning, it might result in more sleep disruptions due to limited surface area.
- Limited length: Just like a queen, a double bed is typically 190 cm long, therefore a larger size is more suited to taller couples.
When to Choose A King Mattress for Couples
Is a king-sized mattress the right size for your couple's sleep sanctuary? Let's find out…
Pros of a King:
- Ample space: With a width of approximately 150cm, a king offers abundant room for couples to enjoy individual comfort while still relishing moments of togetherness.
- Enhanced comfort: The generous dimensions of a king allow for freedom of movement, making it an excellent choice for active sleepers or those who prefer more personal space.
- Improved sleep quality: The extra space minimises the likelihood of sleep disturbances caused by a partner's movements, resulting in a more restful night's sleep.
- Great for tall people: A king is generally 10 cm longer than a double.
- Luxurious feel: It provides a sense of grandeur and luxury, transforming your bedroom into a serene retreat.
Cons of a King:
- Space considerations: King-sized beds require a larger bedroom to accommodate their size adequately, limiting their suitability for smaller living spaces.
- Higher cost: They are generally more expensive than smaller sizes, considering their larger dimensions and premium features.
- Bedding expenses: Finding the right sheets, duvets, and accessories for a king may come with a higher price tag.
When to Choose A Super King Mattress for Couples
Let's explore the pros and cons of a super king mattress size…
Pros of a Super King:
- Boundless space: With an impressive width of around 180 cm, a super king bed offers an unparalleled sleeping surface, granting couples abundant space to stretch out, unwind and enjoy undisturbed rest.
- Lavish luxury: They exude elegance and indulgence, transforming your bedroom into a haven of relaxation and splendour.
- Versatility and storage: Larger sizes provide more under-bed storage space if you opt for a storage bed.
- Space requirements: They demand a significant amount of space, making them impractical for smaller bedrooms or apartments.
- Higher cost: The grandeur of a super king comes with a higher price tag.
- Difficult to manoeuvre: Due to their large size, they will be much heavier than smaller sizes, making them challenging to move around.
Cons of a Super King:
In short, the best bed size for any couple is the one that suits their needs. If you're the kind who needs your own space, then go for a bigger size. Or, if snuggly closeness is more your style, then a queen or double bed will be perfect! And remember – some couples even find sleeping apart easier, and choose a sleep divorce. So, don't be afraid to try out different sizes and sleeping arrangements – we all need a good night's sleep.
For more help and advice, check out our bed and mattress size guide.